DC Scores Poet-Athletes Train with MLS Champions

8:26 AM Posted by Lori Calabrese

In town to be honored by the President for winning the championship and for serving their community, the Columbus Crew, the 2008 Major League Soccer Champions, spent some quality time with DC SCORES, running a soccer, literacy, and service-learning clinic.

DC SCORES uses soccer as a building block for teaching academics, social skills, and teamwork for urban youth. The program is an affiliate of America SCORES, which serves more than 6,000 youth in 14 cities using a combination of soccer, creative writing, and service-learning to help young people succeed in school and life.

Mark McCullers, President and General Manager of the Columbus Crew, spoke to the DC SCORES poet-athletes before hitting the field, addressing the importance of service and hard work throughout the season. DC SCORES poet-athletes then enjoyed one-on-one time with the 2008 MLS champions, taking shots on goal, learning the benefits of exercise and nutrition, and practicing their soccer skills. "I learned about working hard and controlling the ball," said Tchoso A., 11. "They showed me how I can be the best player."


  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

2 comments:

  1. quba said...

    I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://lioneltrains.info

  2. Lori Calabrese said...

    Thanks so much for visiting, Patricia.

    All the best,
    Lori