This Week in Sports Books: May 15, 2009

9:21 AM Posted by Lori Calabrese





At The HappyNappyBookseller, Doret takes a look at Knights of the Hill Country by Tim Tharp.

"This book was published in 2006. About a week ago I saw this book mentioned on Lori's blog Get in the Game- Read. It reminded me that I wanted to read Knights of the Hill Country. Now I am very thankful for that reminder because it was a wonderful book...Tharp has written a wonderful story about change, consequences and choices. I highly recommand The Knights of the Hill Country. There is so much to love about it."




Simon Rose has a wonderful new program he just announced at his blog. The first ever Ladies Summer Tennis Camp, to be held at Oakridge Community Centre in SW Calgary, from July 20 to 24, 2009, will this year also feature a summer camp for children aged eight to twelve.

"While you are taking lessons on the courts outside, your children can be enjoying an adventurous morning with Calgary-based children’s author Simon Rose. During five mornings of interactive, lively and fun filled sessions, children will use their incredible imaginations to conceive their own unique stories, invent superheroes, create wacky characters, develop their own time travel stories, and more. Please note that this camp is for children aged eight to twelve."

Way to go, Simon!



At the Stone Arch books blog, Val Priebe, who wrote the text for the Jake Maddox books Running Rivals, Full Court Dreams, Over the Net, and Stolen Bases writes an interesting post about Over the Net (Impact Books) and how reading builds teamwork.

"I wrote Over the Net about a volleyball player struggling to master a skill and struggling with her self-confidence. Although Allie plays volleyball, I saw a lot of her in many of the athletes on my varsity basketball team during our 2008-2009 season."



On a side note, I'm thrilled to announce I won 1st place in Dragonfly Publishing, Inc.'s 2009 Picture Book Contest for my manuscript, The Bug That Plagued the Entire Third Grade! What a way to celebrate Children's Book Week! I'm happy and excited to work with Dragonfly Publishing, Inc. who publishes amazing books! For more info, please visit Lori Calabrese Writes! and LoriCalabrese.com!
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

2 comments:

  1. Doret said...

    Congrats on the win. Great title.

  2. Lori Calabrese said...

    Thanks so much, Doret! I'm so excited!

    I'm glad you read Knights of the Hill country and liked it! It was a good book! Can't wait to see what you read next!

    All the best,
    Lori