This Week in Sports Books! April 10th, 2009

9:24 PM Posted by Lori Calabrese






Check out The Puffin Blog where Tom Palmer introduces his new series--Football Academy, released last week. It's a series of six books about the fourteen players who play for a team called United.

"I didn’t know a lot about academy football when I started the series. So I went to Burnley FC, my nearest club. I talked to the players and their parents about what it’s like playing for an academy side. I also talked to the coaches. They were really helpful. And I learned amazing things."

Reading the Game (Football Academy)

Football Academy: Free Kick

The Real Thing (Football Academy)



Kid Lit Kit reviews All The Broken Pieces by Ann Burg
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press (April 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0545080924
ISBN-13: 978-0545080927



Kid Lit Kit also celebrates the opening of the season with baseball poetry.



From On Our Minds at Scholastic: Eli and Peyton Manning are publishing a picture book with Scholastic titled Family Huddle
(September 2009), and will become the first-ever "Ambassadors of Reading" for Scholastic Book Clubs' ClassroomsCare program.



I.N.K. (Interesting Nonfiction for Kids) had a great post--"Actually I Like Sports" by Sue Macy, a woman who writes books about sports! Way to go, Sue!



A Fuse #8 Production has a wonderful review of You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! by Jonah Winter. You can also check out an interview with Jonah Winter at School Library Journal where he talks about why Koufax is great.



Heidi Estrin brought to my attention that she did an entire podcast on baseball books back in May 2007 at The Book of Life. It's really awesome if you want to hear some great interviews and a review from Just One More Book.



At 5 Minutes for Books, Lauren shares her thoughts on B Is for Baseball: Running the Bases from A to Z. "Although my seven-year-old son is generally past alphabet books, this is one version of the ABC's that even my husband would enjoy."
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

0 comments: