Kevin Youkilis Hits for Kids

7:52 AM Posted by Lori Calabrese

While checking out David Kelly's Babe Ruth and the Baseball Curse (A Stepping Stone Book(TM)), I became aware of an awesome children's charity program called Kevin Youkilis Hits for Kids. Kevin Youkilis Hits for Kids is a charitable organization founded by Boston Red Sox infielder Kevin Youkilis, dedicated to rallying local and corporate support for charities and organizations focused on the health and wellbeing of children. Kevin Youkilis Hits for Kids teams up with existing community-based children's charities and medical research programs in New England and in Kevin's home town of Cincinnati, to help them raise money and awareness.

"I am living out my childhood dream, and it is due in no small part to the tremendous support of my family, friends, and community. Now I am in the position to help foster safe, nurturing, healthy environments for today's children, and I can't imagine backing away from that opportunity." --Kevin Youkilis, Boston Red Sox

Some of the organizations that Kevin Youkilis Hits for Kids is working with include:
The Italian Home for Children
Joslin Pediatric Health Services
Christopher's Haven
Birthday Wishes
Lovelane
Nativity Preparatory School

Kevin Youkilis "Hits For Kids", has also forged a partnership with the New England Mobile Book Fair®, establishing Youk's Kids Reading Group-a program aimed at furthering the important values of reading and literacy among young people. New England Mobile Book Fair® is New England's largest independent bookstore, located in Newton, Massachusetts. Youk's Kids Reading Group encourages children to read at an early age. The group is open to all children up to age fifteen and every member receives a $5.00 gift certificate on their birthday! Talk about a sweet spot!

"I am excited to launch this great literacy program with the Book Fair," said Kevin Youkilis. "Reading is a skill so often taken for granted, but more than 2 million adults in Massachusetts do not have functional English literacy skills. Youk's Kids Reading Group will encourage children to read at an early age and help in the effort to stamp out illiteracy."

I know it's short notice, but if you live in the Boston area, you might want to check out the Goodnight Moon Gala this Thursday, April 23, 2009.
A magical night of entertainment and delicious food served by Boston’s premiere restaurant, featuring signature drinks, live and silent auctions, and more! This exciting event will take place from 6:30-9:00pm in the atrium of Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse, Boston. The proceeds of this event will benefit Raising A Reader. For more information on Raising A Reader please visit raisingareaderma.org or to purchase a ticket please go to youkskids.org/html/donate.html. Each purchased ticket gives you TWO chances to win tickets to Red Sox Opening Day! Can't make it to the event? Donate $50 to Raising A Reader and get one chance to win tickets to the Sox Opener!

Be sure to visit the official website of Kevin Youkilis Hits for Kids and find out how you can join them in going to bat for Youk's Kids.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes

5 comments:

  1. Doret said...

    I like Kevin Youkilis. He's got that blue collar thing going on, work hard for every hit and on every play. David Kelly's Babe Ruth and the Baseball book was a great early chapter book.
    If you haven't already read it you should read The Prince of Fenway Park by Julianna Baggott. I loved it, check out my review.

  2. Lori Calabrese said...

    He does, doesn't he? And when I saw his non-profit, I thought even more highly of him (and I have to admit, I'm not a Red Sox fan!)!

    I just read your review and it definitely makes me want to check out the book--it sounds great. Thanks so much for pointing it out! I'll include it in the sports books of the week this Friday, too!

    I have to say, ever since I started this blog, a whole new world of sports books has opened for me and I love it! There are certainly a lot out there.

    Thanks for visiting!
    Lori

  3. Doret said...

    I really like this site. It combines two of my loves; sports and reading. If you're ever looking for a kids sports book just do a search on my site and you'll find more than a few.

  4. Lori Calabrese said...

    Thanks so much, Doret! That means a lot! That was my plan when I started this blog--to combine two of my loves; sports and reading , so I'm glad there are others out there who enjoy the same things!

    When I checked out your review for The Prince of Fenway Park, I noticed you had a bunch of reviews for sports books! My reading list keeps growing! I'll definitely visit your site and provide some links to your reviews--Great Stuff!

    Thanks again,
    Lori

  5. VS Grenier, Founder said...

    I'm not a baseball fan, but this is really cool. I love seeing others giving back. And the best part is . . . kids benefit from this.

    VS Grenier
    Founder & Editor-in-Chief
    Stories for Children Magazine
    http://storiesforchildrenmagazine.org